The 2016 Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon race weekend is this Saturday and Sunday, April 2-3, and a record number of more than 8,000 runners are expected to participate in the 12th annual event.
The race weekend schedule is as follows:
Saturday, April 2
- 2 p.m. Saturday-2:30 p.m. Sunday – Road Closures: Street and lane closures will occur throughout the center city and surrounding areas during race weekend, April 2-3. All streets are expected to be open by 2:30 p.m. Sunday. For a complete course overview, visit www.knoxvillemarathon.com.
- 9 a.m.-8 p.m. – The Health & Fitness Expo: The Expo is located in Exhibit Halls 1 and 2 at the Knoxville Convention & Exhibition Center and is free and open to the public. All event participants are required to pick up their race packets at the Expo, where last-chance registration will be offered for marathon events, space permitting.
- 4 p.m. – Motivational Speaker Inky Johnson: The former Vols football player will take the stage at the Health & Fitness Expo to share his story of perseverance.
- 5:30 p.m. – Covenant Kids Run: The one-mile Covenant Kids Run starts on the Clinch Avenue Viaduct overlooking World’s Fair Park and finishes at the 50-yard-line in Neyland Stadium. More than 1,200 children aged 12 and under are registered to participate.
- 7 p.m. – 5K: New this year, the 5K race takes place Saturday evening. The race starts at the Clinch Avenue Viaduct overlooking World’s Fair Park and finishes at the 50-yard-line in Neyland Stadium.
- 6:30-9 p.m. – Pre-Race Pasta Dinner: Girls on the Run Knoxville will host the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon’s Pre-Race Pasta Dinner at the Holiday Inn World’s Fair Park. In addition to enjoying an Italian buffet-style dinner, guests will hear from WATE 6 On Your Side anchor and longtime Girls on the Run Knoxville supporter, Kristin Farley.
- 8 p.m. – 5K Awards Ceremony. The Pilot Flying J post-race party will be held at Neyland Stadium outside Gate 21.
Sunday, April 3
- All other Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon race events are scheduled for Sunday, April 3, and start at the Clinch Avenue Viaduct overlooking World’s Fair Park and finish on the 50-yard-line inside Neyland Stadium:
- 7:25 a.m. – Start time for wheelchair and handcycle participants
- 7:30 a.m. – Start time for marathon, half-marathon and two- and four-person marathon relay races
- The Pilot Flying J post-race party will be held at Neyland Stadium outside Gate 21 immediately following the races:
- 11 a.m. – Half-marathon awards ceremony
- 12:30 p.m. – Marathon and relays awards ceremony
- The marathon course closes at 2:30 p.m.