The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation’s mobile household hazardous waste collection service will be in Loudon, Sullivan and Weakley Counties on April 16. Since the program’s inception in 1993, more than 322,000 households have properly disposed of more than 21 million pounds of material.


“Our household hazardous waste mobile collection service provides the people of Tennessee with a safe, environmentally friendly way to dispose of unwanted household chemicals and other potentially hazardous wastes at no cost,” said Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation Commissioner Bob Martineau. “This service travels across the state holding collection events in local communities, and we encourage all Tennesseans to take advantage of the opportunity to utilize it.”


On Saturday, April 16, any Tennessee resident may bring his or her household hazardous waste to the following locations. (Note that hours listed indicate the local time for events.)


  • Loudon County – Loudon County Justice Center at 12680 Highway 11 West in Lenoir City from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Chris Parks at (865) 988-7558.
  • Sullivan County – Sullivan Central High School at 131 Shipley Ferry Rd., in Blountville from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Buck Johnson at (423) 279-2879.
  • Weakley County – Weakley County Convenience Center at 608 County Maintenance Rd. in Dresden from 8 a.m. until noon. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Deborah James at (731) 364-6798.


HHW material is considered flammable, toxic, reactive and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage. Typical items to dispose of include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent lamps, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals and paint thinner.  Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics, medical waste and any empty containers.


While household waste may be disposed for free, there is a cost for disposal of Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Waste (i.e. wastes from non-household sources such as businesses, schools, farms, churches, etc.).  An appointment is also necessary.  Call (615) 643-3170 to request a price quote and schedule an appointment.


Many counties and municipalities meet the needs of local residents by providing collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze and electronic scrap – or BOPAE as it is sometimes called.  When handled correctly, these BOPAE materials are minimally hazardous, but inappropriate for collection at household hazardous waste events.  Contact your local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in your area.


When transporting materials to the site, place containers in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper to prevent spills and cross-contamination in the trunk of a car or back of a truck. Be sure to keep materials away from children and pets.  Materials should be kept in the original containers whenever possible.  If not, place each waste in a separate plastic container with a secure lid and label its contents.


For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, please call 1-800-287-9013 or visit