Thousands of participants crossed the finish line of the 2022 Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon in World’s Fair Park during the March 26-27 race weekend – and one of the runners, Ethan Coffey of Knoxville, made history as the first male to place first overall in the marathon three times.
With a time of 2:31:13, the 39-year-old continued his winning streak for the second year. Coffey also won in 2021 with a time of 2:47:42 and in 2015 with a time of 2:22:58.
Two other Knoxville men placed in the full marathon: Austin Whitelaw won second place with a time of 2:33:55, and Jeremy Miller took third place at 2:36:49. In the women’s full marathon, Caroline Kimble of Nashville won first place with a time of 3:07:42. Megan Kleeschulte of Knoxville placed second with a time of 3:11:14, and Audrey Carter of Whitesburg, earned third place with a time of 3:16:18.
“The Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon returned to spring and delivered the excitement and accomplishment we know to expect from East Tennessee’s premier road race,” Race Director Jason Altman said. “Race weekend included thousands of participants, streets lined with spectators, generous volunteers and support from City of Knoxville and Knoxville police and fire departments – and a lot of fun and personal accomplishment for everyone who crossed the finish line.”
The Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon continued its reign as the largest competitive road race in East Tennessee. Now in its 18th year, the 2022 events had more than 4,000 registrants.
“The Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon challenges and celebrates the health of our community in ways that benefit each participant and everyone involved,” Covenant Health President and CEO Jim VanderSteeg said. “We are committed to improving the quality of life of people throughout our region by promoting better health, and that’s why Covenant Health is proud to sponsor this event and to renew our presenting sponsorship for the next three years. Why not set a goal for a 2023 race? We’ll see you there.”
Race officials have verified the results in various categories, and the winners and times are as follows:
Men’s full marathon:
- Ethan Coffey of Knoxville, Tennessee, 2:31:13
- Austin Whitelaw of Knoxville, Tennessee, 2:33:55
- Jeremy Miller of Knoxville, Tennessee, 2:36:49
Women’s full marathon:
- Caroline Kimble of Nashville, Tennessee, 3:07:42
- Megan Kleeschulte of Knoxville, Tennessee, 3:11:14
- Audrey Carter of Whitesburg, Tennessee, 3:16:18
- Alan Carreno of Las Vegas, Nevada, 1:11:42
- Joshua Mower of Knoxville, Tennessee, 1:12:59
- Will Shaffer of Knoxville, Tennessee, 1:14:35
- Gina Rouse of Knoxville, Tennessee, 1:20:03
- Elizabeth Herndon of Knoxville, Tennessee, 1:22:23
- Jennifer Weston of Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1:23:36
- Scott Greeves of Knoxville, Tennessee, 15:10
- Seth Kolosso of Lenoir City, Tennessee, 15:30
- Wil Cantrell of Knoxville, Tennessee, 17:20
- Rachel McGovern of Knoxville, Tennessee, 18:12
- Maria Zolkowski of Knoxville, Tennessee, 23:07
- Savannah Duke of Knoxville, Tennessee, 24:46
The race also included several wheelchair competitors. Winners are as follows:
Men’s push-rim wheelchair half-marathon:
- Chad Johnson of Corydon, Indiana, 1:15:02
- Matthew Porterfield of Knoxville, Tennessee, 1:15:54
- Matthew Speed of Knoxville, Tennessee, 2:49:24
In addition to individual races, the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon includes a two- and four-person marathon relay also on Sunday, March 27. The men’s and women’s 5K and one-mile Covenant Kids Run were held Saturday, March 26.
For more information, visit www.knoxvillemarathon.com.