~ from Young-Williams Animal Center
What to do if you’ve lost or found a pet.
- More pets go missing on July Fourth than any other day of the year.
- Young-Williams Animal Center often experiences increased intake in the days after the holiday.
- We can help if your pet has wandered off or if you’ve found a pet.
- If your pet is lost, go to young-williams.org/lost-found for a list of steps, including visiting the shelter, contacting local veterinarians and searching on social media.
- Start your search with us! As the official shelter of Knoxville and Knox County, many strays come through our doors.
- Young-Williams Animal Center Lost & Found and Knoxville Lost & Found Pets Facebook groups also are great resources. You can search for or post a lost pet on a national database at petcolove.org.
- Check the shelter and these groups regularly.
- If you find a pet, search for its owners in your neighborhood – pets are usually found near their homes.
- Knox County and City of Knoxville residents can bring the lost pet to Young-Williams Animal Center or call Animal Control for assistance.
- Social media groups also are a huge help if you’re trying to reunite a pet and their person.
How to prevent losing your pet in the future.
- Don’t let your pet go missing – microchip!
- Microchips are like ID tags that never fall off.
- A tiny chip is implanted under your pet’s skin in a quick and painless procedure.
- The chip’s unique code links your contact information to a database, making it easier to reunite with your pet if you get separated.
- Animal control, shelter staff and veterinarians can scan the chip’s code to identify a pet’s owner.
- For $15, you can microchip your pet at Young-Williams Animal Center.
- Call us at 865-215-6654 to make an appointment.
- Spay or neuter your pet to prevent loss.
- Animals are more likely to roam away if they are not spayed or neutered.
- The procedures also prevent certain behaviors and health problems.
- Schedule an appointment online at young-williams.org/spay-neuter or call 865-215-6677.