Four downtown events this weekend are expected to draw large crowds, and motorists are advised of accompanying road closures.
Relay for Life Midnight 5K Run – Friday and Saturday, June 17-18
The Knoxville area annual Relay for Life celebration will begin at 5 p.m. on Friday, June 17, at World’s Fair Park. The festivities will culminate Friday night with the event’s first-ever Midnight 5K Run, a fundraiser organized by the American Cancer Society and Relay for Life. For details, visit http://bit.ly/1W1bUrI.
- All lanes of Neyland Drive between Walnut Street and Joe Johnson Drive will be closed from midnight to 1 a.m. Saturday.
Market Square Farmers’ Market – Saturday, June 18
The weekly market will be held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Attendees can shop for various handmade or locally grown seasonal items. For more details and a list of participating vendors – some from as far as 150 miles away – visit http://marketsquarefarmersmarket.org/.
- Market Street, between Clinch and Union avenues, will be closed from 6:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Union Avenue, between Walnut and Gay streets, will be closed from 6:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Temporary no-parking zones will be in effect on Market Street and Union Avenue, beginning at 5 a.m. Saturday.
Knoxville Brewfest – Saturday, June 18
Knoxville’s sixth annual Brewfest – a street party overlooking the Old City, where beer aficionados and enthusiasts can sample beers of many colors, styles and flavors – will be held from 4-8 p.m. Saturday on Depot Street and the Gay Street Viaduct. All net proceeds will benefit CureDuchenne, an organization seeking a cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Details: http://knoxvillebrewfest.com/.
- Gay Street between Jackson and Magnolia avenues will be closed from 7 a.m. Saturday until midnight.
- Depot Avenue between Conrad and Williams streets will be closed from 7 a.m. Saturday until midnight.
- Temporary no-parking zones will be in effect on Gay Street and the Gay Street Viaduct between Jackson and Magnolia avenues, from 5 a.m. Saturday to 1 a.m. Sunday.
Knoxville PrideFest – Saturday, June 18
A highlight of PrideFest will be a downtown parade, starting on Jackson Avenue in the Old City, then heading south on Gay Street to Clinch Avenue, concluding at World’s Fair Park. The parade steps off at 11 a.m.
PrideFest continues all day, promoting equality and inclusion with music, entertainment and speakers at the World’s Fair Park Performance Lawn from noon to 8 p.m. More than 100 vendors will be participating.
- There will be rolling roadblocks, 11 a.m. to noon Saturday, for the parade along Jackson Avenue, Gay Street and Clinch Avenue.
- Temporary no-parking zones on Gay Street between Jackson and Clinch avenues will be in effect from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.